[Sketchup] Useful Guide On Texturing Spheres

DataMine
by DataMine · 7 posts
13 years ago in Sketchup
Posted 13 years ago · Author
For a long time I've been wanting to make some interesting products, such as hologram generators & fusion reactors, but they always fell short because while everything else looked nice, the main feature (being a sphere) looked horrible. Using the projected texture technique helped a little but it wasn't the greatest technique for spheres. So after 2 minutes of searching Google, lol, I found this:

http://www.barnabu.co.uk/textured-globe-models-in-sketchup-tutorial/

I hope it helps everyone here as much as it helped me.
Posted 13 years ago
Woah dude ._.' make me one of those star wars projector type globe thingies, it looks soooooooooooooo awesome
Don Sam Stormrage wrote:
Woah dude ._.' make me one of those star wars projector type globe thingies, it looks soooooooooooooo awesome

Yeah I tried that. I got the mesh down but I just couldn't get any textures to look good.
Posted 13 years ago
This looks great! Textures spin and everything?
Lisette wrote:

Yes, you can make the texture spin, but none of the mesh moves. But moving the texture gives the illusion of a rotating sphere.
Posted 13 years ago
D.M wrote:
Lisette wrote:

Yes, you can make the texture spin, but none of the mesh moves. But moving the texture gives the illusion of a rotating sphere.

I knew you couldn't make the mesh move. Which is unfortunate because I have done a lot of neat things with scripting in SL by making mesh move on a timer.