IMVU Inc Actually Did Something Smart For Once?

Don Von Alpha Dom
by Don Von Alpha Dom · 12 posts
13 years ago in Off Topic
Posted 13 years ago · Author
katiemarie wrote:
Our creator community has often indicated to us that unchanged derivations [products that are exact duplicates of their parent product] cause confusion for customers and potential loss of sales for the creator of the parent product. Thanks to some recent work that our team has been doing, we now have a way to identify products that are exact duplicates of their parent product within our catalog.

As a result, we are planning a change to the way exact duplicate products [aka unchanged derivations] are handled in the catalog. Going forward, we will not show these products in the catalog or in search results within the catalog. These products will not be removed from anyone’s inventory. If you have created exact duplicate products, you will still be able to find these in your product list.

This change will be implemented as early as next week and we will provide an update when it is done. We anticipate about 190,000 products to be affected by this change.

We hope this addresses your concerns regarding exact duplicate products. We anticipate that our change will help our mutual customers easily find what they are looking for in our catalog. We look forward to hearing your comments.

Thank you.

katiemarie wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your feedback, including questions and concerns. Let me try to answer some of your concerns here:

--We will not go into details about how our process looks at exact duplicate products and sorts them from non-duplicates. Making this information available will undermine the project.
--In addition to the above, we have no plans to make wider communication available for example, via a homepage message. Once the change is in effect, we will make an update to Creator News.
--To be clear, such products will not be set to “hidden” by our process. They will just not be shown in the catalog unless you have the direct link to the product page. Such products will also be purchasable.

Thank you again for your comments.

katiemarie wrote:
BelleMorte: we are doing our best to make sure that this new process does not affect derivations that have actually made changes. Again, I cannot go into details about the process. Since we are affecting less than 3% of our entire catalog of 6mil products, we don't anticipate many issues [but are sending such comments to the team].

Scarlet: This process will only affect individual products. Using your example, neither product would be visible since a) the mesher made its base product 'hidden' and b) the derivation of that base product would not be available in our new process since it is an unchanged derivation. If you owned the unchanged derivation however, you would be able to use it as normal.

Notorious: Exactly. You will be able to see & edit your own products even if they are exact duplicates.

Additionally, if it wasn't clear in my first post, this process will affect past and future products.

Source: http://www.imvu.com/catalog/modules.php ... sc&start=0

My reaction: This is going to help our members save ALLOT of credits when it comes to looking for the cheapest version of a product. I myself have accidentally purchased the same product twice due to duplicates, on more than one occasion.

Before anyone starts talking about how we may or may not be able to abuse this new feature, this topic is in the public off topic section.
Posted 13 years ago
Thank god, they finally doing something I approve of. Aside from being OCD and loving everything neat and organized, this benefits everyone when it comes to sales. I hope this improves the quality of the catalog and I hope to see more good updates (I won't hold my breath though). It's nice to see them doing something that doesn't appear to be 100% financially motivated (I know it does help somewhat though and I am sure that was one reason they implemented this updated)

Don Von Free Credits wrote:
Before anyone starts talking about how we may or may not be able to abuse this new feature, this topic is in the public off topic section.

I actually don't want to abuse this feature personally, I think it is a positive thing that should be embraced by us in stead. However, I do wish we could figure out how their method works, just for research purposes though.

Besides, I don't see what we could gain out of making someones product not appear in the catalog, unless we wanted to destroy specific developers.

Anyway, this kind of gives me hope that one day Imvu will be much better.

Some things I wish for:
-Legal Adult content (For AP Owners)
-The deletion of all duplicate and shitty products from the catalog to increase quality.
-Removal of useless client features (Pulse, the new groups button, pet mode, games etc..)
-Removal of the ads in the client (fat chance but I can dream)
-Change focus from greedy money making to bug fixes and quality improvement. ( I know Imvu is a business but they make more than enough money per year to support themselves and pay their employees)
Posted 13 years ago
No quality improvement for me.With every updated version my IMVU lags.
Posted 13 years ago
But, pets mode gives free credits and pulse mode is easy to abuse for free advertisement.

True, It's not really a problem for me anymore since I removed the pulse buttons so I no longer have to see it notifying me every time someone feels the need to be stupid.

JonXRulz wrote:

It's probably your computer having trouble running Imvu, I've used every update except for the newest one (461) and they didn't lag for me. However, any version between around 444 and 450 would bluescreen my computer after 10mins of being open and it was only the client that did it. My computer could run for weeks with no problems but 10mins after I opened Imvu, it would crash.

They still claim it wasn't their fault even though a lot of people were having the issue. But notice how they came out with like 10 updates over the course of that month..
Posted 13 years ago
JonXRulz wrote:

Try clearing your cache from time to time.
Posted 13 years ago
I lag if I move my camera around too fast.
I have to move it like a snail.

What are the specs of the box you are controlling?
Posted 13 years ago · Author
D.M wrote:

Cores: 2
Ram: 2GB
Processor: Intel 1.47GHz
Posted 13 years ago
D.M wrote:

Cores: 2
Ram: 2GB
Processor: Intel 1.47GHz

Not too bad but it does help me understand why you have some issues sometimes with doing a lot of things. What gpu do you have and Is it custom built or store bought?