I need some help.

Transcribe
by Transcribe · 15 posts
13 years ago in Off Topic
Posted 13 years ago · Author
I recently (2 days ago) got a C&D from my ISP from downloading copyrighted movies from torrents. Me, being the panicky person I am immediately called my ISP to confirm that these letters were in-fact real, which they were. My services are not being shut off and there are no legal actions being taken. My question is, I need my anonymity, does anyone know of a...some what fool-proof way of downloading these files while not being tracked? I've looked at BTGuard but I don't have $7 a month to pay for services that I'd only be using 2-3 times a month, I'm uneasy about using a blacklist because they're lists constantly need updating which can lead to leaks of my IP which I can't have. If any of you have had this problem contact me through PM if your not sure who to trust or anything. I DO NOT want to stop downloading files due to me not having hundreds of dollars to pay for files myself.....

That was a long post.
Posted 13 years ago
//.Spring wrote:
I recently (2 days ago) got a C&D from my ISP from downloading copyrighted movies from torrents. Me, being the panicky person I am immediately called my ISP to confirm that these letters were in-fact real, which they were. My services are not being shut off and there are no legal actions being taken. My question is, I need my anonymity, does anyone know of a...some what fool-proof way of downloading these files while not being tracked? I've looked at BTGuard but I don't have $7 a month to pay for services that I'd only be using 2-3 times a month, I'm uneasy about using a blacklist because they're lists constantly need updating which can lead to leaks of my IP which I can't have. If any of you have had this problem contact me through PM if your not sure who to trust or anything. I DO NOT want to stop downloading files due to me not having hundreds of dollars to pay for files myself.....

That was a long post.

umm try using a ip changer?
Nikky Maxim wrote:
//.Spring wrote:

That was a long post.

umm try using a ip changer?

It doesn't matter, I'm still running through the same ISP which has NOTHING to do with my computer's IP address.
Posted 13 years ago
I pirate so much every day for the last 5 years, I wonder why I've never received anything from any of my isps.

Anyway, the letter was just a scare tactic, ignore it.

Also, some people run PeerBlock while they download for this reason, I don't know how well it works though but you can find a guide on it here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7490

And always: Keep on pirating!

D.M wrote:
I pirate so much every day for the last 5 years, I wonder why I've never received anything from any of my isps.

Anyway, the letter was just a scare tactic, ignore it.

Also, some people run PeerBlock while they download for this reason, I don't know how well it works though but you can find a guide on it here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7490

And always: Keep on pirating!

I don't have permission to see that post, I don't know why.
D.M wrote:
You will in a few more posts.

Oh so it's got a post requirement, I guess I'll check back when I have the required posts.
Posted 13 years ago
//.Spring wrote:
D.M wrote:

Oh so it's got a post requirement, I guess I'll check back when I have the required posts.

Once you get 50 posts, request Mafia VIP status from me or DM, and you will be able to see that thread.

In the mean time, most people get those letters when they seed torrents.
If you want to avoid those letters, you need to stop seeding.
Posted 13 years ago
Don Von Free Credits wrote:
//.Spring wrote:
D.M wrote:

Once you get 50 posts, request Mafia VIP status from me or DM, and you will be able to see that thread.

In the mean time, most people get those letters when they seed torrents.
If you want to avoid those letters, you need to stop seeding.

Don't tell them that, seeding is what keeps the community strong. Big companies win when the seeders stop seeding. Also, I've seeded terabytes of data over the years and I have yet to receive a letter from any isp I've used. In fact, I'm seeding right now.

Posted 13 years ago
~shrugs~

All I know is, in my location, it is legal to download copywrite material, but illigal to upload it. For that reason, I do not seed and I have never gotten caught. I had several friends get caught though, and the thing they all had in common, was they all seeded everything they downloaded.

If I do seed, I never do it from a secure network, and I never do it for more than a couple of hours. Normally I only seed when I know a fried is trying to download the file.