Keep laptop from overheating?

General Tony
by General Tony · 31 posts
12 years ago in Off Topic
Posted 12 years ago
Take your laptop apart and clean it like every 2 months make sure no dust is blocking the fan and sit your laptop on an flat surface as in book, office table something like that.
Posted 12 years ago
what i would highly suggest you do, this is kinda what was said before but:
1. turn your laptop over and remove the bottom panel
2. locate your fan
3. remove your fan then clean it
4. this is very important, there should be a copper bar connected to some fins. (the fins were behind your fan)
5. remove that copper bar by removing the four screws holding it to your mother-board
6. look to see if there is any burn marks, scratches, or any imperfections on the copper bar and the metal fins
7. make sure your processor (located directly below the copper bar) is properly secured. (there should be a small screw like thing you can turn half way to lock it into place)
8. put everything back together except your bottom plate
9. open your laptop, and put your laptop on the back of the screen. so you can see the inside of your laptop.
10. turn it on.
11. leave your computer running for about 10 minutes.
12. come back and put your hand CLOSE but NOT touching the copper bar.
if you can feel ALOT of heat coming from it, then that probably means that you should replace your fan, or the copper bar.

If you dont feel heat coming from it, touch it, and it should be somewhat warm.
then all you have to do is put your bottom panel back on. and you should be good...
that is, if you didnt feel alot of heat coming from the copper bar when you WERE NOT touching it..

--------------------------------
Fans for your laptop are not to expensive, here is the cheapest one i found:
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-DV6-1 ... B005TTKBQU

If you need the coolant bar, it depends on if it hallow or if its solid. i would suggest looking on amazon, Ebay, or your local PC shop
Posted 12 years ago
Don Von Free Credits wrote:
What if you open your laptop and all of the parts are melted together to the point that you can not tell where one begins and the previous ends?

Then it's time for a new laptop.
Posted 12 years ago
Ð▪ℳ wrote:
What if you open your laptop and all of the parts are melted together to the point that you can not tell where one begins and the previous ends?

Then it's time for a new laptop.

Lol definitely xD
Posted 12 years ago
But, the laptop still works.
It just overheats if I run more than 1 program at a time.

Junk it and get a new one or fix it. A computer that can only do 1 things is useless.
Posted 12 years ago
Try not using it on bed.
Posted 12 years ago
uhmm how much RAM does your laptop have?
you may only have one chip of memory (usually only 1GB of space)
if that is the case you should find out the memory limits for your computer
or if you dont know how much RAM you have you can go to this link:

Here:
http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx

when you go to that link click on "system scanner"
it will download a file to your computer (.EXE) when you run it, it will scan EVERYTHING in your computer, telling you what your usage, how much you have, what your limits are, what brand to use, and i think it tells you if you have x86 or x64 bit of windows.
But once its done scanning it will (or should) take you to another page that has the ram chips that your computer is compatible with, and it will tell you prices for them.
also on the left side it will tell you what RAM chips you have in at the moment of the scan, and everything i listed before.
Posted 12 years ago
Err think you can goto "My Computer" and then right click, goto Properties to find out your RAM,processor,GFX card etc :D