help with getting new laptop

xREXx
by xREXx · 8 posts
11 years ago in Off Topic
Posted 11 years ago · Author
this will probably be where dm comes into play since hes real good with computers but lets cut down to the chase. so this girl told me i could pick to get her older pc which i think it like 2 years old or w/e but alot newer then my 2004. OR the option to buy a laptop from either walmart or bestbuy because she can get it for a lil cheaper.

price range= about $367
i want windows 8
possible good enough to play games on like nba2k13 or black ops 2

overall i just want a good laptop that should last me a while. my mom and cousin has a hp and both there's overheats and my moms acts up.

ive heard asus was a good brand http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+15.6 ... b=overview

just let me know what my best option is with some links and what not so i can pick the right laptop. THANKS!
Posted 11 years ago
You're not gonna get anything worthwhile with that much money, you're better off saving just a bit more. For $480 you can get a low end gaming rig from Walmart with these specs:

AMD FX 4100 Dual-Core Processor
    8Gb DDR3-1333
    500Gb 7200RPm Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 1GB GDDR3
    Win8 64-Bit

You can build it here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/iBuyPower-Bui ... e/15374646

Granted, I'd never purchase this computer but for myself, but you'd need to save up a lot more to get something really good. So for your price range this is way better than anything you're probably gonna get if you just drive the local Walmart or take your friends old pc.

For $500 you could get this quad core machine: http://www.walmart.com/ip/CyberpowerPC- ... d/17811825

I'm not gonna bother posting laptops, you can look at Walmart's website for them, they're not worth the money.
Posted 11 years ago
Mhm, your most basic modern gaming desktop computer is going to run about $500 in my experience. Laptops normally run twice as much.

If you are having overheating problems, then you need to read this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8162&hilit=overheating
Any laptop is going to start overheating after the first year or two without proper maintenance / cooling accessories.

Asus is extremely good in my experience. Just remember, technology doubles every two years ... so if you get a normal 2 year old computer, then expect it to play low end games that came out about 3 - 4 years ago. The same goes for low cost computers that are a generation behind current standards (such as the Asus you posted). That Asus is almost the exact same laptop that my parents bought 2 years ago for $500.

Personally, I would go with DM's advice: save another $100 - $150 at least. Then buy something you can really game with for a few years rather than something that is already behind.
Posted 11 years ago
Mhmm, and I'd get a Desktop if I wasn't always on the move, you can get a great desktop for half the price of a laptop and it'd be twice as good and last twice as long.
Posted 11 years ago
BloodLustD wrote:
Mhmm, and I'd get a Desktop if I wasn't always on the move, you can get a great desktop for half the price of a laptop and it'd be twice as good and last twice as long.

And most likely never overheat ....
Posted 11 years ago
Yep to me Asus is the best brand laptops.
Posted 11 years ago · Author
i may just save up a few more bucks and go with the pc because atm i wanna get a ps3 too so if i save up can just go with pc gaming that i can pirate or go legit instead of spending more money for both systems. thanks may get something that cost a lil more then what you posted @dm