Forum Improvements & Changes

DataMine
by DataMine · 94 posts
8 years ago in Mafia News
Posted 8 years ago
I love the new shield...Thanks for all your effort DM the site is looking great....very professional...modern....Thanks for all your hard work...We are so lucky to have you always being there to help us all...DM Don and Axiom....thank you!
Posted 8 years ago
Thumbs up for lecter on the shield.

May I propose a green shield for global moderators?
Posted 8 years ago
@D.M It looks wonderful, sorry I'm late to the thread. I love everything you've done with it, but it sounds like you need more people familiar with coding to help you out. It's admirable that you work so hard on the site, and that you do so much of it yourself, and I think it would be great for you if you had someone helping you out. I don't know about everyone else, but I'd like to try and update my knowledge of html and css so I can help you. It would be a skill that could benefit me in more than just here, but I don't like seeing you stress over it so much. I think it would take some weight off your shoulders if someone knowledgeable in coding could take up some of the slack. I don't know when I'm going to be able to get started, but I'll keep you posted.

As for the forum colors, I'm glad
@Don Von Alpha Dom likes dark colors, I do too. I've enjoyed this dark theme for as long as I've known it because it's just easier on my eyes. I have a lot of webpages either dimmed or color inverted because I dislike the eye strain from stark white pages so much. I never knew why you chose blue; I thought it was because people with different types of color blindness can see it somewhat easier (if you go to http://paletton.com/ and use their colorblindness simulators, your blue does well as far as being seen).

As for the shoutbox change and other designs, I saw that new user verbally abusing
@Hydra in the shoutbox recently and I kind of agree with you not wanting it moved for more than one reason. People tend not to follow the rules of the shoutbox at the best of times unless they've been here a while and are familiar with the site and how we do things here. The ability for users to change the forum colors like they can in other forums is nice in theory, but as you've noted, difficult to implement. However, I have an alternate suggestion for that; if people want the forums to be different colors, perhaps they could write a style for it for use with Stylish. I use Stylish with reddit, among other things, Youtube for example. It's an extension that allows people to write styles and use them with different sites. My Youtube is nice and dark thanks to it.

Anyway, I think I've rambled enough, and thanks again for your hard work. It looks great.
Posted 8 years ago · Author
Axiom® wrote:
Thumbs up for lecter on the shield.May I propose a green shield for global moderators?

The Global Mod rank doesn't appear next to your name so the shield would not be visible anyway. I would like to change that though.

EDIT: The Global Moderator is not technically a rank, it's a group. So it is not part of the ranks system like the ones I've already done shields for. I could give the group an avatar but it still wouldn't be displayed on the forums. But still, this is something I would like to change.

EDIT 2: For the curious: The difference between the ranks system and groups is the that groups have special permissions whereas the ranks are more of a flair system that don't come with permissions.

EDIT 3: I could make a moderator rank and give that to you. I'm not sure how the forums will handle it though. I know the ranks system isn't designed to display multiple ranks (something I've wanted to change).

EDIT 4: I've made the rank but in order to give it to you, I would need to replace your capo rank. This is what I meant by the ranks system doesn't support multiple ranks. So it's up to you if you want it.

Adryan® wrote:
the actual letter for each rank

Axiom® wrote:
Thumbs up for leter on the shield.

I was going to do that, then I realized Lower Family Member and Legendary Family Member both start with L, lol.

Harper wrote:
If people want the forums to be different colors, perhaps they could write a style for it for use with Stylish

That is perfectly doable but I doubt most of our users know anything about installing addons let alone writing css. I would also need to give out information on how my css is designed in order for them to properly implement the colors.

I could possibly create a few stylish themes for you guys and release those on the forums. It wouldn't be hard.

Harper wrote:
I never knew why you chose blue; I thought it was because people with different types of color blindness can see it somewhat easier

Family color voted on many years ago. While I have decent artistic freedom with changing the site, I'm still forced to stick within Don's guidelines and what he likes.

Harper wrote:
it sounds like you need more people familiar with coding to help you out

Correct. Although that would require giving them access to our server files with is a major trust issue with me.
Update 7/6/2016
-Fixed the flex alignment of the top row on the index page. The shoutbox no longer stretches to match the height of the other elements in the row.

-Fixed a bug in the poll system not allowing you to vote.

-Re added the poll length and max vote labeling to the polls so you know how many times you can vote and what time the poll will end.

-Added a background color on hover to the user actions buttons on posts (quote, pm, email, skype etc..) to better communicate to the user when they are selected.

-Added an icon to the forum category headers on the index page so you know that they are links and will take you somewhere.

-Turned the header of the newest ads block on the index page into a clickable link that takes you to the newest products category in the market.

-The login page has been given a new look and the code has been cleaned up.
Posted 8 years ago
Nice work, I like it
Posted 8 years ago
cool great work
Posted 8 years ago
i can't see the karma buttons but it might just be cause i'm new to posting
4_6_j1mStones wrote:
i can't see the karma buttons but it might just be cause i'm new to posting

According to researching, you only see the karma buttons when you have karma. I think that might be a poor design choice so I'll see about changing it.