Adobe Illustrator (Ai)

Axiom
by Axiom · 20 posts
9 years ago in Graphics Design
Posted 8 years ago · Author

-- Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:57 pm --

-- Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:19 pm --

No need to use them, only I like to improve my skills, it means I'm getting fun.
Posted 8 years ago · Author
DPs (Starting Imvu DPs)

Posted 8 years ago
the demon head looks sick i like how you use the red in your other ones too
@D.M

does using illustrator make the smaller images on products look better when creating (less blurry)
@Axiom®

btw that dp looks sick, edited: those emblems are something serious too
Posted 8 years ago
4_6_j1mStones wrote:
@D.Mdoes using illustrator make the smaller images on products look better when creating (less blurry

You talking about textures?
Posted 8 years ago
yeah, they always come out blurry on product textures when resizing in photoshop, pretty sure cause the image is rasterized or whatever

-- Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:56 pm --

but it appears even more blurry in create mode than in photoshop, does using illustrator vectors fix this?
Posted 8 years ago
4_6_j1mStones wrote:
yeah, they always come out blurry on product textures when resizing in photoshop, pretty sure cause the image is rasterized or whatever

Exactly, resizing rasterized images up will lower the quality. That's why professional designers start with a large image and resize down. Personally, I design my textures at the size I need them. The IMVU Client uses powers of 2 for texture resolution (32x 64x 256x 512x 1024x) and depending on the product I know what res I'll need.

4_6_j1mStones wrote:
but it appears even more blurry in create mode than in photoshop, does using illustrator vectors fix this?

Illustrator uses vector graphics so technically yes you could export the graphic at any size you want. But using Illustrator for texture work is not a good idea. It's not designed for that type of work. Stick with Photoshop and if you find yourself having to resize your texture upward, just start building your textures at a higher resolution than you'll need. Then you can resize them down to whatever you want and still have a high res version.
Posted 8 years ago
Ok I'll try that with an old texture i made, the problem is when i resize down for example a graphic on top of my t shirt texture, or patch on a jacket, it always appears blurry 8 times out of 10 in create mode, i was thinking if i used illustrator for vectors then loaded them in photoshop to place on a t shirt.

But i never thought of the hi resolution thing that can be a good solution cause now that you mention it, my textures look realistically pleasing enough in ps but in create mode it looks like crap compared to whats on photoshop, sometimes changing the opacity on my wrinkles and shadows does the trick but never gives me the quality I want, and yeah the graphics (logos,patches, etc) come out blurry too, except for text but from my understandig the text isn't rasterized until you rasterize it manually.
Posted 8 years ago
The resampling method you use also has an effect on quality. Of course, any image resized down is going to exhibit signs of quality degradation. Especially if you're resizing to a fairly low resolution.

It's possible the fact that the client will resize your textures for you if they are not a power of 2 like I mentioned above is causing the quality loss. It's always better to resize them yourself.

It's also possible you're running the client in fast graphics mode or a have profile in your GPU config overriding IMVU thus making this look bad.

But regardless, using Illustrator for texture work won't help. The only benefit Illustrator would give you is the ability to resize your texture in either direction without quality loss no matter what size you originally created it in. But in order to use it, you'd have to export it to a raster image anyway. Thus leaving you in the same situation you're in using Photoshop.

Start using the industry standard of creating all your source material in high res and resize down to fit your needs.
Posted 8 years ago
When resizing...resize from large to small. Then sharpen a tad. Resizing from small to large will always result in blur. When i have made my own textures, i have found realistic textures tend to look flat and undefined, may be due to graphics. I end up having to increase saturation and increase shine or shading to add depth.

Another factor may be the format your are saving texture in: gif, tiff, jpg, or png. Png tends to hold quality over jpg but results in higher file size. Most imvu products can get away w jpg.

If you are experiencing blurriness in the client it could be a due to poor mapping on the mesh. Try your texture on a different mesh. There are quality differences.