IMVU Game or Social Network? Share Your Opinion!

Kleixx
by Kleixx · 10 posts
1 month ago in IMVU Lounge
Posted 1 month ago · Author
would like to start an interesting debate about IMVU. Personally, I firmly believe that IMVU is more of a social network than a game, and I would love to hear your opinions on this.

My Point of View:
  1. Social Interaction: The main activity on IMVU is social interaction. Users can chat, make new friends, join communities, and participate in virtual events, which is more akin to a social network.
  2. Avatar Customization: While avatar customization is fun and engaging, it primarily serves to enhance social experiences and self-expression rather than fulfilling typical game objectives.
  3. Community Events and Activities: Events on IMVU are designed to bring people together, foster interaction, and build a community, similar to what other social networks do.
  4. User-Generated Content: Users create and sell virtual products, adding a layer of social economy within the platform.

Questions to Reflect On:
Do you consider IMVU more of a game or a social network? Why?
Which features of IMVU do you think are more important: social or gaming aspects?

I would love to read your opinions and discuss this topic! I believe we can have a very enriching discussion and maybe see IMVU from different perspectives.

Thank you for sharing your views!
Posted 1 month ago
i think it's kind of a mix...but definitely more of a social network.....so i guess u could say that it's a social network game! while some people on vu don't take things seriously cuz they view it as "just a game" there is still a good chunk of people on vu who do treat it as more than "just a game" people often forget that there's REAL PEOPLE behind the avatars.
Posted 1 month ago
No it’s not bad. I’ve been playing for 8 years and I use it as a life away from my real life and I’ve met some really awesome people. And no it’s not all about dating. Whereas sicial media is all about real life.
@sadecatgirl

Yes, I agree that it is a combination of a social network and a game. I was asked this question because I see that some people on imvu take things very literally, maybe some jokes made by certain users are taken as an extreme threat or extreme insult, instead of laughing or letting it go by... throughout my life on imvu I have seen many people who even cry for not so drastic situations, but that's to each his own.

-- Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:21 pm --

@Iminmafia

I totally agree with you, for me imvu is like a life in which a person wants to get to know people, but virtual, so it does not take so much seriousness to think that what happens there influences in real life, as I answered to the girl above, there are people who think that their life is imvu and from here come the problems, from financial to emotional, I had to talk to people that to calm their depression or anguish they buy credits in imvu to update their avi and feel happy or even people who get hurt in real life because something happened to them in the game, crazy people.
Posted 1 month ago
What stands out the most about IMVU is its incredible level of customization. Users have the freedom to design avatars that reflect their personal style, from physical appearance to clothing and accessories. This ability for individual expression not only allows users to be creative, but also facilitates the construction of unique virtual identities that can be as diverse as the people who create them.

Additionally, IMVU offers a wide range of virtual environments to explore, from sophisticated lounges to tropical beaches and vibrant nightclubs. These places not only serve as settings for interaction, but also provide a canvas for artistic expression and the creation of shared experiences. The ability to interact in real time with other avatars adds an additional layer of immersion, making conversations and activities more dynamic and exciting.

The IMVU community is another highlight. Over the years, I have seen how this platform has brought together people of different cultures, ages and interests, creating a global network of friends and meaningful connections. The friendships and relationships formed in IMVU can be as real and valuable as those found outside the virtual world, thanks to the game's ability to foster collaboration and communication.

However, IMVU is not without its critics. Some users have raised concerns about online moderation and safety, especially in environments where interaction is so direct and personalized. Additionally, the virtual economy within IMVU can be complex for some new users, as it involves buying and selling credits to access premium content and advanced customization.

Ultimately, IMVU represents a truly unique social and creative experience in the online gaming landscape. Combine freedom of personal expression with the excitement of meeting new people and exploring fascinating virtual worlds. For those looking for a platform where they can be themselves, connect with others, and let their imagination run wild, IMVU remains an exceptional option worth exploring.
Posted 1 month ago

@Kleixx
Do you consider IMVU more of a game or a social network? Why?

i think its a game, social network and both dependin' on the user. it can also be viewed as either or both at different times for example, a teen can see it as a game then few years later see it as both then several years later see it as a social network. i also think that this applies to other social medias too. the main difference from them and imvu is bein' able to have a 3d customizable avi. oh and ive seen several avi cards state that theyre only there to create, dont message or invite them and so i guess they see imvu as a hobby or somethin' completely different

Which features of IMVU do you think are more important: social or gaming aspects?

the social bc without it, its another dress up game. chat rooms, groups, the feed and bein' able to message ppl are all the social aspects. a few ways you can game by urself without bein' social is by dressin' up, takin' pics, playin' walk off and creatin' stuff to put in the shop

@Caleidanna

Good point of view, lately I'm seeing it as a way to spend time creating or selling things there, I feel that socially it's boring for me and when it comes to gaming, I only wear the clothes I create
Posted 1 month ago

@Kleixx

yea i noticed that with alot of creators just creatin' or also promotin' their products. most have had accounts for many years so theyre probably tired of all the negative stuff from the social aspects like trolls and spam and prefer keepin' to themselves but still like makin' stuff for themselves and others. to me theres enough ppl that feel that way to make groups and chat rooms just for them bc they can all relate

@Caleidanna

The truth is that yes, it would be good if rooms were opened where only creators of a certain level could enter, or if it were really moderated accordingly, maybe speaking of social issues there may even be problems there.
Posted 1 month ago
your a dev you see it diffent from a player. you see it as a system to sell your products and not a open ended thing
that can serve your purposes as needed game or social its either or none. if you were on for the pure sake to be on and not to design and try to make a profit. you'd see it can be a anything you want place a escape from the HOW IT IS WORLD.. we all live in. give it a shot as a place to try and be! new trys things. instead of a place to work and make a buck. you mite like it more.