Could This be done?

luigi386541970
by luigi386541970 · 6 posts
11 years ago in Off Topic
Posted 11 years ago · Author
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I am curious of one thing.

There is this program for IMVU that people can get (it's free and light-weight) called Screenie.
(http://imvu-products.biz/2/software/our-software/screenie.html)
It allows said person to take pictures of their avatar with background, without background, or to record an animation.
The best part is that it stores the pictures in a single folder, which keeps your desktop free of clutter.

However this said program / add-on ONLY works with the non moded IMVU; meaning that it doesn't work with the Maffia's clients at all.
I was curious if at all possible, could this program work with the new versions of the clients or if something can be made like it.

If this can be done well.. least it was an idea.
Posted 11 years ago
Not sure, I don't see why not. It just uses the built in commands to take pictures. I wrote a script that does the exact same thing and works with all the clients, the only thing it can't do yet is move them a custom folder.

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=8138
That does help with the issue of having it work with all clients, but the not being able to move it to a folder is still an issue.
Not to sound picky or anything (believe me if I knew how to make the code I'd try), just I think that having it in one folder is more organised and its easier to find.
Given I could move them into a folder I can make, but having it automatic just saves so much time.

Thank you though for showing me that, it definitely helps out :)
Posted 11 years ago
luigi386541970 wrote:
That does help with the issue of having it work with all clients, but the not being able to move it to a folder is still an issue.
Not to sound picky or anything (believe me if I knew how to make the code I'd try), just I think that having it in one folder is more organised and its easier to find.
Given I could move them into a folder I can make, but having it automatic just saves so much time.

Thank you though for showing me that, it definitely helps out :)

It's a feature I plan on adding as soon as I figure it out. Haven't been able to get any code to work but it's been a long time since I worked on that script. I'll work on it again soon.
Take your time, I'm just glad my post was seen and replied to .. let alone getting a good answer to it which is always nice to get.
whenever you do get it done or so I'm definitely interested :3

Thanks again~! <3
Posted 11 years ago
luigi386541970 wrote:
Take your time, I'm just glad my post was seen and replied to .. let alone getting a good answer to it which is always nice to get.
whenever you do get it done or so I'm definitely interested :3

Thanks again~! <3

Well, so far I've got it to create a screenshots folder and move images into it but I think due to the limitations of the scripting language, it won't be possible to add this feature.

I am having 2 problems:

1: The FileMove functions only supports 2 flags; overwrite and don't overwrite file. If I tell it not to overwrite the file then it cancels the move so the screenshot never gets put into the folder. If I tell it to move the file, then it replaces the file that's already in there if it has the same name. Both of these outcomes defeat the whole purpose of the screenshot folder.

I don't believe this first problem is solvable without switching to a different language as AutoIT just doesn't seem to support being able to rename a file if one already exists. I've been researching this ever since I started the script and have yet to find an answer or anything that's helped. So unless I manage to find a code example, I don't believe I can do anything about this.

The only way to solve this problem is to have it only move files once you are done taking all your screenshots. This, however, is not ideal in many situations.

2: At this time there's no way for me to separate IMVU screenshots from other pngs on the desktop so any png image will get moved into the screenshots folder regardless of what it is.

This second problem may not be solvable either but I think it just requires advanced techniques to loop through the files and check there names. I can loop through files in a directory but I have no way of reading a file name and then deciding whether or not to move it.

Bottom line is I think I'd need to remake this program in C# as a gui app. I've never made a hotkey program before and I would need to learn how to make it interact with the client. So it will take more time.