Can someone please tell me?

Xepther
by Xepther · 3 posts
7 years ago in Off Topic
Posted 7 years ago · Author
Okay, a long time ago (a few years back at the least) there was this old scam going around where people would invite you and offer to buy you credits if you gave them your phone number.
Not password.
Phone number.
I've never got asked for my password, and I thought it was odd that I'd need a phone number. The only assumption I can make is that they'd use my phone number to buy SMS stuff. But is there really any certain reason for it?
// one time someone threatened me to give them my phone number for them to buy presents or else they'd call the police because their mother was a police officer.
yum.
Posted 7 years ago
@SoftPuffs
I got hit big by that scam back when I was 18 ... 10 years ago, right before I moved out of my parents' house and went to college. The scammers offered me free credits. I gave the scammers my parent's home phone number and my first / last name. With just my name and phone number, they were able to charge hundreds of dollars to a non mobile home phone ... which showed up the next month on my parents' phone bill. My parents got the phone company to reverse the charges because in the US there is a law that states someone not over the age of 18 can not enter a phone contract without the consent of their guardian.

I'm not sure if the scam is still possible, but I know back then you could prevent the scam by calling your phone provider and telling them that you want to disable payment by phone / phone charges. Apparently payment by phone allows anyone to charge items to your phone bill and all they need to know is your name and phone number ... and most phone providers have that service enabled by default.

Again ... I am speaking from an experience that happened 10 years ago. I have no idea if the scam is still active.

The FTC keeps track of scams like that here: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0 ... ne-charges

The official term for this scam is "Phone Bill Cramming".

Here is a google search for all "Phone Bill Cramming" results within the past year: https://www.google.com/search?q=Phone+B ... &tbs=qdr:y

Based on the results of that google search, I would guess that it is still very much possible to perform this scam or get hit by this scam.
Posted 7 years ago · Author
Don Von Alpha Dom wrote:
@SoftPuffs I got hit big by that scam back when I was 18 ... 10 years ago, right before I moved out of my parents' house and went to college. The scammers offered me free credits. I gave the scammers my parent's home phone number and my first / last name. With just my name and phone number, they were able to charge hundreds of dollars to a non mobile home phone ... which showed up the next month on my parents' phone bill. My parents got the phone company to reverse the charges because in the US there is a law that states someone not over the age of 18 can not enter a phone contract without the consent of their guardian.I'm not sure if the scam is still possible, but I know back then you could prevent the scam by calling your phone provider and telling them that you want to disable payment by phone / phone charges. Apparently payment by phone allows anyone to charge items to your phone bill and all they need to know is your name and phone number ... and most phone providers have that service enabled by default.Again ... I am speaking from an experience that happened 10 years ago. I have no idea if the scam is still active.The FTC keeps track of scams like that here: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0 ... ne-chargesThe official term for this scam is "Phone Bill Cramming".Here is a google search for all "Phone Bill Cramming" results within the past year: https://www.google.com/search?q=Phone+B ... &tbs=qdr:yBased on the results of that google search, I would guess that it is still very much possible to perform this scam or get hit by this scam.
Oh gosh. It's good that the bills could be reversed, pretty dick of a move for someone to do that. That could easily shove someone into debt. Thank you for sharing your story.